Pittsburgh for June, Summer 2008

June 12th, 2008

A new wave a photographs to stray your mind from the summer heat of 2008.
Penguins Fans gather at Mellon Arena to watch the 2008 Stanley Cup finals outdoors.
Three Sisters.
Three Sisters.
Pittsburgh over the Mon.
Pittsburgh over the Mon.
Purchase a print of this photograph
The fountain at the confluence at the Point.
The fountain at the confluence at the Point.
Downtown Vista.
Downtown Vista.
United Steel Workers.
United Steel Workers.
House with a view.
House with a view.
Purchase a print of this photograph
Coal barges float past One Oxford Center.
Coal barges float past One Oxford Center.
Purchase a print of this photograph
US Steel tower and Mellon Arena during the finals.
US Steel tower and Mellon Arena during the finals.
Only in Pittsburgh.
Only in Pittsburgh.
Purchase a print of this photograph
Pittsburgh fountain at the point at dusk.
Pittsburgh fountain at the point at dusk.
Purchase a print of this photograph
Pittsburgh Skyline across the Allegheny.
Pittsburgh Skyline across the Allegheny.
Purchase a print of this photograph
Fans take their seats before the start of a Bucs game (is this the year we finish .500?)
Fort Pitt Bridge.
Fort Pitt Bridge.
Purchase a print of this photograph
A perfect night, besides those Wings.
A perfect night, besides those Wings.
Purchase a print of this photograph
The lush hilltops of Pittsburgh.
The lush hilltops of Pittsburgh.
Purchase a print of this photograph
Nation's sootiest city? Thanks a lot, American Lung Associate.
Nation’s sootiest city? Thanks a lot, American Lung Associate.
Notice that big ditch leading to Point State Park has vanished.
Notice that big ditch leading to Point State Park has vanished.
Pittsburgh's Point.
Pittsburgh’s Point.
Purchase a print of this photograph
Pedestrian venture across the Smithfield Street Bridge.
Pedestrian venture across the Smithfield Street Bridge.
Station Square fountains provide a rainbow.
Station Square fountains provide a rainbow.
Purchase a print of this photograph
The treacherous trip to the Spring Hill Cemetery provides one of the best city views.
Thanks for a thrilling ride through the playoffs, Pens!
Thanks for a thrilling ride through the playoffs, Pens!
Pittsburgh for June, Summer 2008
Pin It

Want to use PittsburghSkyline.com photographs for commercial purposes? See the image licensing page.

For other cities I've photographed, visit MetroScenes.com or RaleighSkyline.com

Comments

1. Betty says:

Though I have lived in California for more than 60 years, Pittsburgh is still (and always will be) home. These pictures are gorgeous. I am sending them on to all those who still think of it as a dirty, sooty city. Pittsburgh people are all like family….the Steeler Nation rules!

2. Gregor Nowak says:

Not a joke, this city is so beautiful i feel weak in my stomach. ;)

3. Elisabeth Larman says:

I just happened to see these beautiful pictures! I miss the ‘Burgh and eventhough Seattle is nice, it just cannot replace beautiful, wonderful Pittsburgh and “them Steelers” especially!
    Are there any Steeler fans in the NorthWest, I wonder?
    Thanks for the memories! Your pictures are beautiful.

4. Elle C. says:

I’m moving to Pittsburgh in the fall to go to grad school… if I wasn’t already convinced I’m making the right move, these pictures just truly reinforced that moving to the “Burgh” is the right move. Thanks for the pictures… they’re beautiful!

5. chris says:

ATTENTION ALL PITTSBURGH TRANSPLANTS: If you are homesick and want to be close to home. Log on to http://www.kdkaradio.com between 6 and 9 am., and listen to the morning show streaming live on the internet. It contains national, international, and local news, but most importantly, they throw in all the stories that make Pitsburgh, Pittsburgh. It’s the next best thing to Matt’s work or going home to visit!!!

Peace…and GO PENS!!!! GO PITT!!! OK Pirates…your turn

6. RayM. says:

Good Stuff, I’ve been here for 35 years & been saying I moving out west for 15 of them, Photo’s like these bring back memories that will never leave, for the west coast yeah right !

7. Michael A. Hernandez says:

Hello, i am a beginner photographer who as actually always been a fan of view beautiful scenic photos. I got started in photography about 9 months ago and i stumbled across your website while surfing information about the Pittsburgh Steeler. Have been a Steeler fan since the 70’s and had the pleasure of visiting the city of Pittsburgh in 2007. Your photos have inspired me in a big way. I am born and raised in Los Angeles, California and i must say that Pittsburgh is one of the most beautiful cities i have ever seen. On July 4th 2009 will be my first attempt of shooting fireworks with a city view. Thanks again for your inspiration and keep up the fantastic work.. Oh, and Go Steelers in 2009!!!!

8. Jeff in Greenfield says:

Absolutely stunning! Every picture…..I’m speechless. I thought Darrel Sapp was the best Pittsburgh photographer but wow…just WOW!!

9. Alexandra from Stanton Heights says:

Wow… Looking at these photographs actually makes me proud to live in Pittsburgh. I’ve seen all of these things many, many times, but I never realized how beautiful and amazing they really are. I always told myself, “I can’t wait until I’m 18 so I can get the heck outta here.” Now, when that time comes, I think I’m gonna stick around in Pittsburgh for a bit longer. It is my home, after all… :)

10. Terry says:

I have to say, you took some awesome pictures. Just from looking at them, it makes me proud to be a resident of this City, Seriously, you captured what this City in a very romantic way, along with the excitement of the Sports teams and people. Thanks for taking your time and efforts here. This is not a one day adventure around the City to get this done.

11. Tom says:

I left Pittsburgh in 1954 to attend an out-of-state university. Since then I have lived in 8 states and in Germany, Vietnam, Japan, Italy and Kenya but I still call Pittsburgh home.

12. Mike says:

Born and raised there. Moved away 40 years ago and miss it very much. My wife and I visited 10 years ago. Taking the incline to have dinner at LeMont, driving through my old Bellevue neighborhood, the view when arriving through the tunnel! What a wonderful city. What fond memories. Thanks for the trip home.

13. Marilyn says:

Beautiful. I lived in the Burgh for only 4 years, but a piece of me always stays there.

14. Ti says:

Wow!! Beautiful. The sky looks a lot different than it was while I was growing up in the ’40s. Just awesome!!

15. bernard e revak says:

Lived nearaby in the 40’s and early 50’s-what a great change. Love the pics

16. Carole says:

My ancestors settled in Pittsburgh in the 1800’s. I’m sure they would be amazed at the change. Beautiful photographs of a beautiful city.

17. Georgia says:

Pittsburgh was so beautiful before UPMC become too big.

18. Ms Portia says:

OMG………..Wow……….As a child my family visited my Grandfather for many many years until his death JAN. 1993, we had never seen any of this. As long as I can remember he always worked at the Steal Mill until he retired. These pictures are awesome. Never knew the city was like this.

19. Carol Baker says:

“Fantastic Photos” Makes me homesick. What a beautiful city, quite a change since I walked the bridges in the 60’s.

20. Joanne says:

I’ve lived in Florida for 36 years but am still a Pittsburgh fan — all the way. Awesome photos! Thank you!

21. Lois says:

Great pictures. It brings back so many memories of living in this city. How can I keep these pictures on my desktop, to show off, when someone comes to see where I lived?

Tjanks. Great job.

22. IRIS BAKER says:

I lived in Pittsburgh from 1961-1962. I have thoroughly enjoyed looking at the pictures of Pittsburgh. I remember going to the Melon Bank in the City and seeing the Melon Hotel in Melon Square. Can you tell me if these buildings still exist? I am hoping to revisit sometime in the next 18months or so.

23. Jules says:

Really hate to see the unique aspect the civic arena/mellon arena adds to our city’s sky

24. Sandy Love says:

Thank You for that,My mom was born&raised in Pittsburgh. I have never been there.Hope to go in the summer of 2011 with my mother.GO STEELERS&PENS

25. Ed Heinsius says:

Loved the Photo’s. They are a great view and panarama of the “Burg”….It makes you proud to have been born and raised in Pittsburgh. It makes you well up with Pride to see how far it has come in the last 50 years. We have always had a position in the history of our country and it will always be in the hearts of those of us who love the City.

26. Dr.F.D.Maloney says:

Emily,Did you say you moved to CLOUD BURGH from CALIFORNIA??

27. Skro says:

Visited Pittsburgh a year ago and it is much prettier then in the 50’s. So clean since all the steel mills are gone. All who live there must be proud fine city.

28. Dorsey says:

Lovely photos of my hometown. Questions/comments: (1) Why isn’t the majestic Cathedral of Learning included? (2) By “treacherous trek to the cemetery” does the author mean “challenging” or “exhaustive,” rather than “hazardous”? (3) How about a unified effort to get rid of the UPMC sign? (4) Haven’t ever seen the Union Trust Building, but I’m intrigued; perhaps some day…. (5) How about some suburb photos of Pittsburgh homes, such as in Virginia Manor? Folks here in Marin (north of the Golden Gate) believe their homes are unsurpassed in beauty. I’d opt for a Virginia Manor home or one from the North Hills area–here in Marin, however–any day! (6) And then there are the Pittsburghers, special and unique for personality, character, kindness and friendliness.

Thanks for the nostalgia!

29. Dorothy says:

Fantastic pics. I’ll have to check out the other series. I think my favorite in this group is ‘Only in Pittsburgh’! The ‘Union Trust Building’ brought back memories of when I worked there back in…